Mandeni Technical Training Centre
Mandeni Training Centre History
The lack of suitably trained artisans in South Africa and other countries is no secret. With the 2010 Soccer World Cup coming up, the need for electrical, fitting and instrumentation skills was becoming critical. The solution was offered through our further education and training (FET) colleges.
One of our greatest goals in the further education and training sector, beyond ensuring that we offer courses that communities need, is to take education to the people who most need them.
30 October 2007, saw the opening of a FET campus in Mandeni.
The Department of Education in partnership with Sappi Tugela, brought great relief in the area, addressing the need to provide suitable technical training facilities for artisans in the KwaZulu-Natal. This has expanded
the Umfolozi Further Education and Training College by adding a Technical Training Centre in Mandeni.
Mandeni Technical Training Centre house Sappi’s entire existing in-house technical training centre, but it will also offer National Certificate (Vocational) courses. Three disciplines (electrical, instrumentation and fitting) is being offered.
Accredited Trade Testing
Fitting and Turning
Accredited in SDP
- Fitting and Turning
- Apprenticeship – General duration – 3 Years
- Learnership – General duration – 12 Months
- Internship – General duration – 18 Months
- ARPL – 5 Day Assessment – Gap closure duration will be based on modules not found competent in.
- Skills Programme – duration varies based on modules
- Phase Training – Varies per trade, see detailed duration section per trade.
- Trade Test Preparation – Mechanical and Electrical – 1 week to 6 weeks as per client requirement.
Please note that the workplace component forms part of the duration. The training centre is not responsible for the workplace component.